site
Here, we would like to show you new and old architecture. Back yards, interiors, buildings, churches and much more to give you a closer look at Berlin buildings. Different building groups can be found in Paths & Places, and memorials in Galleries & Museums.
Mitte
Wachturm Kieler Eck

Wachturm Kieler Eck

Watchtower
Kieler Str. 24
10115 Berlin




Google Maps

The watchtower at the Kieler Eck is one of the 302 former guards and observation towers along the 155-kilometer border to West Berlin. It was a main tower, and in addition to the two watchtowers at the Schlesischer Busch and the Erna-Berger-Straße, it still remains there and is a historical monument.

Brandenburger Tor

Brandenburger Tor

Brandenburg Gate
Pariser Platz
10117 Berlin




Google Maps

The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor) is a former city gate and one of the main symbols of Berlin, Germany. It is located between the Pariser Platz and the Platz des 18. März and is the only remaining gate of a series through which one formerly entered Berlin. One block to its north lies the Reichstag. It constitutes the monumental termination of Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees which led directly to the royal residence.

Kronprinzenpalais

Kronprinzenpalais

Crown Prince’s Palace
Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin




Google Maps

The Kronprinzenpalais is a palace at the beginning of the boulevard Unter den Linden, that served the Prussian monarchy as a city palace for a long time. From 1919 to 1939 it was, as a new division of the National Gallery in Berlin, the world’s first museum of contemporary art. It was completely destroyed during the Second World War, it was then rebuilt in 1968 and served as a guest house for state visits to the GDR. Today in the Kronprinzenpalais there are exhibitions and cultural events.

Neue Synagoge/Centrum Judaicum

Neue Synagoge/Centrum Judaicum

New Synagogue
Oranienburger Str. 28 - 30
10117 Berlin
Fone: 030.880 28 300



Google Maps  Website

The Neue Synagoge was built 1859-1866 as the main synagogue of the Berlin Jewish community, on Oranienburger Straße. Because of its splendid eastern moorish style and resemblance to the Alhambra, it is an important architectural monument of the second half of the 19th Century in Berlin.

Neue Wache

Neue Wache

New Guard
Unter den Linden 6
10117 Berlin




Google Maps

The Neue Wache was built between 1816 and 1818 on the boulevard Unter den Linden under the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm 3rd as a guardhouse for the King’s Guard and a memorial for the fallen soldiers of the Napoleonic wars.
Since 1993, the Neue Wache serves as a memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the victims of war and tyranny.

Wachturm Erna-Berger-Straße

Wachturm Erna-Berger-Straße

Watchtower
Erna-Berger-Str. 7
10117 Berlin




Google Maps

The "Panorama observation tower" located at Erna Berger Street is one of the last of its kind, the mushroom-shaped tower consists of a round shank, and inside an iron ladder up to the octagonal observation pulpit. This type was established from 1969 on the border and at the Berlin Wall.

Berliner Dom

Berliner Dom

Berlin Cathedral
Lustgarten
10178 Berlin


Opening Hours:
daily 9:00 - 20:00

Google Maps  Website

The Berliner Dom was built between 1895 and 1905. It faces the Lustgarten.
During the Second World War, the building was bombed by the Allies and severely damaged. A temporary roof was installed to protect what remained of the interior and in 1975 reconstruction started.

Rotes Rathaus

Rotes Rathaus

Red Town Hall
Rathaustraße
10178 Berlin




Google Maps

The Rotes Rathaus is the town hall of Berlin, located on Rathausstraße in the borough of Berlin-Mitte. It is the home to the governing mayor and the government of the Federal state of Berlin. The name of the landmark building dates from the facade design with red clinker bricks.

Hackesche Höfe

Hackesche Höfe


Rosenthaler Str. 40 - 41
10178 Berlin




Google Maps

The Hackesche Höfe are located in the historic suburb in Berlin-Mitte, not far from the so-called Scheunenviertel. They form the largest enclosed courtyard area in Germany and are listed buildings.

St.-Marienkirche

St.-Marienkirche

Church
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 8
10178 Berlin




Google Maps

The St.-Marienkirche is one of the oldest churches in Berlin with a history of over 750 years, and one of six former medieval church buildings in the old town centre of what was the twin city in medieval times called Berlin-Cölln.

Reichstagsgebäude

Reichstagsgebäude

Reichstag building
Platz der Republik 1
10557 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

The Reichstag building in Berlin was constructed to house the Reichstag, the original parliament of the German Empire. It was opened in 1894 and housed the Reichstag until 1933. It again became the seat of the German parliament in 1999 after a reconstruction led by internationally renowned architect Norman Foster. Today’s parliament of Germany is called the Bundestag. The Reichstag as a parliament dates back to the Holy Roman Empire and ceased to act as a true parliament in the years of Nazi Germany (1933-1945). In today’s usage, the German term Reichstag refers to the building, while the term Bundestag refers to the institution.Wikipedia

Haus der Kulturen der Welt

Haus der Kulturen der Welt

House Of The World’s Cultures
John-Foster-Dulles-Allee 10
10557 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

The Haus der Kulturen der Welt is an art institution presenting exhibitions, theater and dance performances, concerts, author readings, films and congresses on non-European art and culture.

Bundeskanzleramt

Bundeskanzleramt

Chancellor’s Office
Willy-Brandt-Str. 1
10557 Berlin




Google Maps

The spectacular and controversial monumental buildings of the new Federal Chancellor’s Office in Berlin Spreebogen were designed by the Berlin architect Axel Schultes and were opened in 2001. With a total area of 12,000 sq. m and a height of 36 m it is one of the largest government headquarters of the world (It is eight times the size of the White House in Washington).

Hauptbahnhof

Hauptbahnhof

Central Station
Europaplatz 1
10557 Berlin
Fone: 030.29 71 055



Google Maps

The station designed by the architect Meinhard von Gerkan was built on the site of the former Lehrter train station and opened on 28th May 2006.

Schloss Bellevue

Schloss Bellevue

Castle
Spreeweg 1
10557 Berlin




Google Maps

Schloss Bellevue is a château in the centre of Berlin. It is situated on the north edge of the Tiergarten park, beside the Spree, near the Berlin Victory Column, with the address "Spreeweg 1". It has been the principal residence of the German President since 1994. Its name derives from its beautiful view over the Spree. >> Wikipedia

Hansaviertel

Hansaviertel

Quarter
Altonaer Str. 22
10557 Berlin




Google Maps

The Hansaviertel was constructed for the International Construction Exhibition "Interbau" 1957 and this settlement celebrated its jubilee in 2007. They are very popular apartments and very much appreceiated by their tenants. They were built in accordance with the standards of social housing built in the ’50s and are exceptional buildings, because they are designed by architects, such as Alvar Aalto, Egon Eiermann, Walter Gropius, Arne Jacobsen, Oscar Niemeyer and Bruno Taut, to be timeless and modern.

Paul-Löbe-Haus

Paul-Löbe-Haus


Konrad-Adenauer-Str. 1
10557 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

The Paul Löbe House is a parliament building in Berlin, located on the grounds of the former Alsenblock on the southern edge of the Spreebogen Park. It is named after a former Reichstag president and interim President of the first German Bundestag Paul Löbe (SPD).

Sonycenter

Sonycenter


Potsdamer Str. 2
10785 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

The Sony Center is a building complex on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin. The architect Helmut Jahn, has built the Sony Center as a complex with seven buildings on about 26,000 sqm plot in the district of Berlin-Tiergarten. Situated in a distinctive triangular shape, since January 2000 the Sony Center is a combination of office space, apartments and entertainment.. The Cost of the Sony Center amounted to € 600 million.

Nordische Botschaften | Felleshus

Nordische Botschaften | Felleshus

Nordic Embassies
Rauchstr. 1
10787 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

The Nordic embassies in Berlinares located on the southern edge of the Tiergarten in the Tiergarten Triangle in the Rauchstraße. There are five national embassy offices with a common public building, linked by a striking architectural element. Visit desired.

Reinickendorf
Flughafen Berlin-Tegel "Otto Lilienthal"

Flughafen Berlin-Tegel "Otto Lilienthal"

Berlin-Tegel International Airport
Flughafen Berlin-Tegel
13405 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

Berlin International Airport in Tegel "Otto Lilienthal" (IATA: TXL, ICAO: EDDT) (often shortened to Tegel) is Berlin¹s busiest airport.Tegel is referred to as the "Frequent Flyer Airport" and has the most scheduled flights of the three airports serving Berlin.

Rathaus Reinickendorf

Rathaus Reinickendorf

Town Hall
Eichborndamm 215-239
13437 Berlin
Fone: 030.90 29 40



Google Maps



Spandau
U-Bahnhof Rathaus Spandau

U-Bahnhof Rathaus Spandau

Subway station Rathaus Spandau
Altstädter Ring
13597 Berlin




Google Maps



Zitadelle Spandau

Zitadelle Spandau

Spandau Citadel
Am Juliusturm
13599 Berlin
Fone: 030.354 944 -0

Opening Hours:
daily 10:00 - 17:00

Google Maps  Website

The Spandau Citadel is one of the most important and best preserved Renaissance castles of Europe.The basic form of the fort, completely surrounded by water, is a square with bastions. Today, the fortress is used exclusively for cultural events.

Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf
Kirche am Hohenzollernplatz

Kirche am Hohenzollernplatz

Church
Nassauische Str. 66
10715 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

Built from 1930 to 1933 by Fritz Högers

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche

Church
Breitscheidplatz
10789 Berlin


Opening Hours:
daily 9:00 - 19:00

Google Maps  Website

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (in German: Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche) is located in Berlin on the Kurfürstendamm in the center of the Breitscheidplatz. The old church was built between 1891 and 1895 according to plans by Franz Schwechten. After the war, from 1951 to 1961, a new church was built right next to the site of the old one according to the plans of Egon Eiermann.

Olympiastadion

Olympiastadion

Olympic Stadium
Olympischer Platz
14053 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

Berlin¹s Olympic Stadium is part of the larger sports complex which includes the Sports Forum, Olympic Hockey Stadium, Riding Stadium, Olympic Swimming pool, the Waldbühne (open air arena), Maifeld (large sports field), the bell tower and the Langemarck hall.

ICC Berlin

ICC Berlin

International Congress Center
Messedamm 11
14057 Berlin


Opening Hours:
closed

Google Maps

The International Congress Center Berlin (ICC Berlin) is one of the largest houses of Congress in the world. The 320 meters long, 80 meters wide and 40 meters high building was built after only four years according to construction plans by the Berlin architect Ralf Schüler and Ursulina Schüler-Witte and opened 1979. It is one of the most important buildings of the German post-war period and cost about 924 million DM (about € 473 million).

Schloss Charlottenburg

Schloss Charlottenburg

Charlottenburg Palace
Spandauer Damm 20 - 22
14059 Berlin


Opening Hours:
Tu - Su 10:00 - 18:00

Google Maps  Website

Schloss Charlottenburg is the largest existing palace in Berlin.
>> Wikipedia

Steglitz-Zehlendorf
Haus von Gustav Lilienthal

Haus von Gustav Lilienthal

House of Gustav Lilienthal
Marthastr. 5
12205 Berlin




Google Maps

Gustav Lilienthal, brother of Otto Lilienthal, was the inventor of various elements of prefabrication . The best known are his villas in Berlin-Lichterfelde-West, designed in the tudor style, which today are still well preserved, including his own residential house in Marthastr.5

Kirche St. Peter und Paul

Kirche St. Peter und Paul

Church
Nikolskoer Weg 17
14109 Berlin




Google Maps  Website



Tempelhof-Schöneberg
Rathaus Schöneberg

Rathaus Schöneberg

Schöneberg town hall
John-F.-Kennedy-Platz
10825 Berlin




Google Maps

The city hall of the City Schöneberg was designed between 1911-1914 by the architects Peter Jürgensen and Jürgen. After the Second World War and the political division of Berlin the Schöneberg City Hall was the political centre of West Berlin until reunification in 1990: Parliament (House of Representatives) and the government (Senate) of West Berlin were based here in the City Hall. In the city hall tower there is the Liberty Bell, which was funded by donations from the American civilian population for the Berliners and rings every lunchtime at 12 o’clock. The town hall, the surrounding area and the streets were the location of many demonstrations and the state visit of President John F. Kennedy. There he held his speech on 26 June 26 1963 with the famous confession " Ich bin ein Berliner (I am a Berliner)". The Rudolph-Wilde-Platz in front of the city hall was renamed John-F.-Kennedy-Platz after his assassination.

Flughafen Tempelhof

Flughafen Tempelhof

Tempelhof Airport
Platz der Luftbrücke
12101 Berlin




Google Maps  Website

Tempelhof International Airport (IATA: THF, ICAO: EDDI) is the oldest one of the three airports in Berlin. Definitely closed since 30 October 2008

Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg
Anhalter Bahnhof

Anhalter Bahnhof


Askanischer Platz
10963 Berlin




Google Maps

The Anhalter Bahnhof was built up as a main station directly in front of the gates of the Berlin tariff wall. Today there remains only a ruin of the portal of the once very famous station. The name of the station refers to the region Anhalt, now part of the Federal Lands of Saxony-Anhalt.

Neukölln
Schloss Britz

Schloss Britz

Britz Palace
Alt-Britz 73
12359 Berlin


Opening Hours:
Tu - Su 11:00 - 18:00

Google Maps  Website

A former manor house with associated domain park and farm in Berlin-Britz is today called Schloss Britz .
The District Office of Neukölln uses the building today for cultural events such as exhibitions and readings , and renovated the manor house between 1985 and 1988, adding commercial buildings and parking. A large part of the original reconstructed facilities including furniture and handicrafts are open to the public.

Hufeisensiedlung

Hufeisensiedlung

Settlement
Lowise-Reuter-Ring
12359 Berlin




Google Maps

The Hufeisensiedlung emerged from 1925 to 1933 in the south of Berlin-Neukölln to plans by Bruno Taut and Martin Wagner. It is one of the first projects of social housing construction., and In seven phases from 1925 to 1933 1072 homes were built. There are only four basic types of plan. 472 homes are in aligned one-family homes, 600 are in the three-storied apartment houses. With the exception of the central horseshoe all buildings are in straight lines and each house has its own garden.

Treptow-Köpenick
Wachturm am Schlesischen Busch

Wachturm am Schlesischen Busch

Watchtower
Puschkinallee 55
12435 Berlin




Google Maps

One of the three last remaining urban GDR-Wall-watchtowers, built as a "leadership" in 1963 for the construction of the barriers. It is listed since 1992 and restored in 2004.

Krematorium Baumschulenweg

Krematorium Baumschulenweg

Crematorium Baumschulenweg
Kiefholzstr. 221
12437 Berlin




Google Maps

Built in 1996-98 to plans of the office of architects Axel Schultes with Charlotte Frank who later planned and built the Chancellor¹s Office

Gartenstadt Falkenberg

Gartenstadt Falkenberg

Settlement
Am Falkenberg
12524 Berlin




Google Maps

Bruno Taut got a contract in 1912 from the "Berlin construction and housing cooperative 1892" to develop a construction plan for a 75 hectare site in the south-east of Berlin (Treptow district-Köpenick). His overall plan for the garden city at Falkenberg scheduled about 1500 homes for about 7000 residents. It should string together houses with two-storied rows which are staggered in the rhythm of the rising topography. Each house should have its own colour and should bear reference to the garden and to the public spaces.

Rathaus Köpenick

Rathaus Köpenick

Köpenick City Hall
Alt Köpenick 21
12555 Berlin




Google Maps

The main building was created from 1901 to 1904 according to plans by Hugo Kinzer and Hans Schutte and was rebuilt and expanded several times. The Köpenick City Hall became famous in 1906 when the unemployed shoemaker William Vogt, dressed in an officer¹s uniform which he bought in a secondhand market, arrested officials from the city and extorted from them ample amounts from the city treasury. Although he was arrested later, the play "The Captain from Koepenick" by Carl Zuckmayer made him famous as a typical Berliner.

Schloss Köpenick

Schloss Köpenick

Castle
Schloßinsel
12557 Berlin




Google Maps



Wohnsiedlung Wasserwerk

Wohnsiedlung Wasserwerk

Water Plant Housing
Müggelseedamm 301 - 307
12587 Berlin




Google Maps

Residential and warehouses originally built for the staff of the water plant.

Marzahn-Hellersdorf
Bockwindmühle Marzahn

Bockwindmühle Marzahn

Windmill
Alt-Marzahn 63
12685 Berlin


Opening Hours:
Mo - Fr 10:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00

Google Maps  Website



Lichtenberg
Gustavohaus

Gustavohaus

Gustavo House
Franz-Jacob-Str. 3
10369 Berlin




Google Maps

Named after the Majorcan artist Gustavo, this 15000 square meter facade with ornaments in bright colours is weather-proofed and dirt proof. Entry, corridors and staircases were renovated too.

Mies van der Rohe Haus

Mies van der Rohe Haus

Mies van der Rohe House
Oberseestr. 60
13053 Berlin


Opening Hours:
Tu - Su 11:00 - 17:00

Google Maps  Website

The Mies van der Rohe Haus in Alt-Hohenschönhausen is the last designed family home of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in Germany before his emigration to the United States in 1938. It was built in the Bauhaus style of the early 1930s under the name Villa Lemke.

Pankow
Zeiss-Großplanetarium

Zeiss-Großplanetarium

Zeiss Planetarium
Prenzlauer Allee 80
10405 Berlin
Fone: 030.42 18 450



Google Maps  Website

The large Zeiss planetarium Berlin was opened in October 1987 as one of the largest and most modern theatres of its kind in Europe. The centre of the house is the computer controlled planetarium projector Cosmorama created by Carl Zeiss Jena in the 23 m high domed hall. It allows for the representation of both the brilliant starry sky with more than 9,000 stars as well as a variety of astronomical phenomena of the past, present and future on an artificial sky.

Schlosskirche Buch

Schlosskirche Buch

Church
Alt-Buch 36
13125 Berlin




Google Maps

The most historical building of Buch is the Baroque church completed in 1736. It is the remnant of the castle facility of Buch.